Thursday, April 26, 2012

Surgery Update

Praise God he is out of surgery!!!  Today has been rough but we have so much to be grateful for.  Joe and I went into his room at 6am and held him until 7:30 when we got the call they were ready for him.  We went down to pre-op and then had to say goodbye before he went into the OR.  Giving him the last kiss and watching him be wheeled away broke our hearts.  My eyes are seriously swollen from the tears and prayers.  We received a call at 12:30 that he was taken off the bypass machine and 45 minutes later we met with the surgeon.  It was the first time we were able to somewhat relax and even smile.  The surgery went well, no complications... seriously praise God!  He even came out of the OR with his chest closed which is extremely rare.  We were told that only about 10% come back that way and most remain open for the first 2 days.  Our God is so good and we know he listened to our cries.
We were just able to see him.  To us he looks like a lifeless body, but every nurse, doctor and respiratory therapist kept saying how good he looks and that they never see a baby look this good so soon.  Now remember, good to them and good to a normal person is much different.  He is still completely sedated and will remain so for at least 12-24 more hours.  He is on a ventilator, has drainage tubes coming out of his chest, IV lines, pace maker wires, monitors, you name it he is hooked to it.  He has 3 nurses with him at all times as well as a cardiologist, respiratory therapist and a neonatalogist checking in on him constantly.  We can't thank them enough for the amazing care they are giving our son.  As hard as it was to see him in this state, we know that is the beginning of him getting better.
Stephen still has a long road to recovery.  It can be overwhelming at times to think about all that is left.  The next 24-48 hours are crucial and anything can happen at any moment.  We still have weeks ahead of us in the hospital and 2 more open heart surgeries.  But we are choosing to be grateful for the present.  We are more than thrilled for today.  We are thankful for our time now and will keep praying that tomorrow brings us one step closer to taking him home.
Thank you all for your faithful prayers.  Please continue them.  We want the doctors and nurses to know that our God is the mighty healer and he is why Stephen has been so special.  Please pray for all of those giving him care and for his little body.  That it would heal, and that piece by piece the tubes, lines, drugs, etc will be removed.
"Yes my soul, find rest in God;
my hope comes from him.
Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
My salvation and my honor depend on God;
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
Trust in him at all times, you people;
pour out your hearts to him,
for God is our refuge.

One thing God has spoken,
two things I have heard:
'Power belongs to you, God,
and with you, LORD, is unfailing love"
Psalm 62:5-8, 11-12a

Thanks be to God for holding Stephen in his hands and for giving him life today.

13 comments:

  1. Please Dear Lord hold him close to your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise His name! Praise His name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. REJOICING WITH YOU!!!! Thank you for updating us all so quickly. That was a long wait for me- I cannot imagine how long it felt for you two. We will continue to pray. :)Hugs to you all. Thank you Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise Jesus! I am crying right now...can't imagine your day. Lord, thank you the surgery went so well. I pray that Stephen would dumbfound the doctors and nurses by his speedy recovery. I pray that the Russell family would dumbfound the doctors and nurses with their faith in You! May You be glorified, Oh Lord!
    Love,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praise God...we will continue to pray for a miraculous recovery.
    The Ferragamos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praise God! We have been praying for Stephen. I have never met you but heard a little about Stephen from a member of your church whose son goes to school with my daughter. I told her of our similar journey with our daughter. She emailed a link to your blog and I was surprised to see that Stephen's diagnosis is a single ventricle which is also the same as our daughter. She was at the same hospital and I am almost certain had the same surgeon. She has had the three surgeries. Stephen is in the best hands! Your family has been on my mind all day and I am so thankful to hear how well the procedure went. My husband and I have been there and know it is very hard to see your precious baby like that. We will continue to pray for all of you. If you ever need anyone to talk or to hear our experiences I would be glad to.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah!
      I would love to get your email. We have met a great community of heart hero babies/kids. It is great having people who truly understand what we are going through =0)
      In Him
      Kim

      Delete
  7. Rejoicing with you <3

    The Lagunas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praise God! Thank you God! Thank you for being our Father!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praise God our healer, our refuge and strength! What a precious miracle!! WIth much love and PRAYERS,

    The Benitez Family

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praise God! Will continue to pray without ceasing for all of you!

    Blessings,

    Annette J.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay so excited to hear Gods miracles... I can't wait to meet him and if there is anything I can do for u guys I will be there in an instant! Praying for God to continue miracles in Stevens heart and the hearts of his great team!!! I have shared ur story with a couple patients who are on the other side and they have all said u are in the best hands!
    In Gods hands
    Kaitlyn

    ReplyDelete