We are still in an adjustment period around here. It is strange coming home so quickly after such a major surgery. Last time we were in the hospital for 17 days post op so he did a lot of the major healing under there care. This time is much different. He still has his steri-strips on the incision sites and cannot be bathed for another week. He is still sore, or at least we think he is. He gives out these sad little cries every now and then. The chest bone and muscles will take about 6 weeks to fully heal so we have to be extra careful when picking him up and holding him. He is also requiring quite a bit more attention, which he rightfully deserves and got his first 2 teeth in the midst of this. But he is a fighter our little Stephen. He has been through more in his 4 months of life than I have in 30 years. And through all of this he has kept his charm and sweet disposition =0)
It is also a little strange coming back from such an emotional week and having to return to the every day tasks of life. Our oldest starts kindergarten next week and tomorrow I have to take him for registration and school pictures. Part of me feels like a need to a little more time to debrief. I have almost been having one of those "wait a minute...did that just happen?" moments. It is crazy how life just continues even if you are not ready for it to =0)
We will go back on Monday for a follow up appointment with the surgery team. Please continue to pray for Stephen's healing and that no infection would develop around the incision sites.
This has been a crazy journey and we are so grateful for everyone who saw us through it. Your prayers have no doubt played a role in our lives and we are so thankful for them. Sometimes it was just the simple things that came at just the right times. Your responses on the blog, facebook, emails and texts lifted our spirits. The morning of this surgery I received a text from a friend I hadn't seen in a few years. I can't tell you how perfect it was. A simple text at that moment was just what I needed and it came at just the right time. Joe and I were pacing the waiting area waiting for him to be taken back. I was trying my best to keep my mind off of what was about to happen and when I looked down at my phone and read her sweet words I just smiled. I was happy to hear from her, happy to know she was praying for us and happy to know that God had just given me exactly what I needed through her text...thanks Sarah =0) A pie date a mini reunion is much needed (Sarah, Heidi, Erin, Julie and Lisa)
You see God has been so faithful to us. He has given us strength when we were weak, encouragement when we were down and peace when we were fearful. He has heard your prayers and used your words to lift us up. Thank you. Truly...thank you. We know this journey is not over but we know God will be with each of us every step of the way.
"For this God is our God for ever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end"
Psalm 48:14
![]() |
| He loves to snuggle his "moo moo" A little cow his siblings bought him when he was born |
| Waking up from a nap...that smile hardly leaves his face =0) |
| His joy amazes me...he is just as smiley as before =0) |





lump in throat! so so so happy that God has spared little stephen (& you!) from a stroke & blood clots, praying for that other family tonight also :'( what a difficult road you've all been on, but you have shined Jesus through it! thank you for your blogs :) we will continue to pray! & wow oh
ReplyDeletemygosh little michael is going to kindergarten!!! hold the phone, sheesh! yes a reunion is most definately in order, lots of love!
So glad you guys are home and doing wel. It was great to see Joe and the bigger kids at church this morning. We look forward to the day when it will be your whole family we get to see!
ReplyDelete