Thursday, August 16, 2012

Pre-op went well today and we are all set for tomorrow.  After spending a little over 4 hours at the hospital were blessed to spend some much needed "distraction time" with our kiddos at a hotel.  We were hoping to stay at the residence in off Scripps/Poway again, because we just loved it there, but when I checked online they only had a 2 bedroom suite for $319/night...a little over our price range =0)  So I made reservations for another Marriott by the hospital and was planning on checking in there today.  During the pre-op I got a call from my amazing friend Jenni who put in a call to the Manager (she used to work for him) and told me she got us 2 nights there...we were stoked!  I called the other hotel and canceled and told my mom where to meet us.  That alone was a blessing...but wait...there's more.  Are rooms were comped...que tears.  This hotel is run by the most amazing people who have shown so much love to our family.  This was such an unexpected blessing.  But it doesn't stop there.  We went swimming with the kids, and had a BLAST, and when we got back to our room we found these...
 With this note...

Yes I cried.  Their generosity and thoughtfulness was touching and brightened my day.  Thank you dear friends for putting smiles on our faces!  You have gone above and beyond what I could have ever dreamed of and have blessed our family tremendously.  I can only try to explain how great it feels to be loved and supported by so many different people from different places and walks of life.  Your kindness encourages us and gives us memories to look back and smile upon =0)
It was hard saying goodbye to Michael, Lizzie and Audrey.  Lizzie was hurting.  She is worried about Stephen and afraid for him to have this surgery.  She literally kept talking about them "cutting his belly"  She is so sweet and so loving.  I did my best to put her worries at ease and let her know that the doctors are helping Stephen to be stronger and will take the best care of him but that more importantly God loves him and will be watching over him.  That and a cartoon on the car ride home seemed to do the trick =0)
Please pray for the surgery tomorrow.  During pre-op we had to hear so many possible outcomes (things that can go wrong) that it can be a little disheartening.  They will be operating near certain nerves that can becomes damaged, his diaphragm can collapse, he can bleed too much or form a blood clot that ends up in his brain or lungs, etc.  Please pray that NONE of those things happen!  Pray that the surgery goes smoothly and that he recovers well with no adverse side effects.
And pray for our hearts.  I know how difficult tomorrow and the next week will be.
The scheduled start time is 11:30...but since he is the second case of the day it could get pushed up or back.  The surgery will take somewhere between 4-6 hours so I don't anticipate being able to see him until after dinner.  I will try to post a quick update when I can and will give more info after we have been with him.
Thanks for your prayers...we know how powerful they are. 
With Much Love and Gratitude
The Russell Family


4 comments:

  1. Just happened to be driving by children's tonight and lifted up your little Steven !
    With love and prayers,
    The colliers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have had you all on my heart the past couple of weeks and praying each time you have been brought to mind. Praying that you see God in a huge way tomorrow and that His glory shines. Praying that Stephen does amazingly well and heals well. May God's perfect peace comfort you as you wait for this surgery to be complete.
    His Grace abounds,
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. & many prayers going up today from the rohland house <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. first part somehow got cut off... that was SO sweet of the inn, what a blessing to a wonderful family! God is using your testimony in so many ways, thank you for sharing that strength can be found in Jesus' precious name, much love

    ReplyDelete