Friday, September 28, 2012

We just wanted to give a little update on Stephen.  He is doing AWESOME!!!  He is staring to sit up on his own (he sits tripod style with his hands) and is even scooting forward on his belly.  2 Surgeries sure didn't phase his development...he is right on track!   He is laughing and cooing and cracks us all up when he flails his arms in excitement.  He amazes me.  He is so strong and wonderful and has the best chubby cheeks to kiss.
Tonight I teared up as I held him and prayed.  He is such a miracle.  His life has taught me so much and I am so blessed to be his mom.  Joe and I took the family to Legoland today...it was Stephen's first trip from outside my belly =0)  We bought passes 2 days after we found out about Stephen's condition.  At the time it was just what we needed...a fun distraction from a scary reality.   We easily went a dozen times before he was born and had a blast watching the kids faces light up each time.  Today we got to share that with Stephen...I smile just thinking about it.  Our family of six got to be there together.  It may seem so simple but to me that is a huge deal.  Being able to create memories together with ALL OF US at Legoland...we have come so far.   6 weeks ago he was in the hospital undergoing his second heart surgery and today he got to stroll around a fun theme park with his 3 best buddies and go on his first rides!!!  A cute little train ride on my lap and a boat ride on dad's.  God is so good.  I wish I brought my camera so I could share his smiles with you.
Our family is blessed beyond words for so many reasons and today was great reminder of that.  I remember feeling so broken 9 months ago when the doctor delivered the news about my sons heart.  It crushed me hearing that part of his heart hadn't developed correctly and that he would have to undergo multiple surgeries to live.  I can still replay that day vividly in my head, and looking back, I would have never believed my life would be filled with as much joy as it today.  I am happy, joyful, grateful and blessed beyond measure.  I have grown so much, learned a ton and look forward to seeing how God will use his story/our story in the future.
Here are a few recent photos of the big guy...next time we go to Legoland I am bringing my camera =0)





One last thing...we have 1 more week before the big Shamu & You Family Walk.  Our family will be walking with team HEART HERO and all money raised by our family, and our team, will be benefiting the cardiology department at Rady Children's Hospital.  I first want to thank everybody who has already contributed or has joined our team and will be walking with us...your donations and support mean so much to us.  Every time I get an email saying a donation has been made I jump for joy.  We feel so honored and blessed to have your support.  THANK YOU!!!
If you haven't yet had a chance to do so, please consider making a donation in honor of this sweet heart hero.  It only takes a moment and will make a difference!  Just click on the link below...it is easy peasy!!!  And if you are looking for something to do next Saturday...sign up and walk with us!!!
Either way we appreciate your support and hope to raise some more money during this last week!
http://shamuandyouwalk.org/stephenrussell
THANK YOU!!!
With Much Love
Kim

2 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE this update :) interesting to me that we pray for heathy & safe children, yet the times i've heard of a strong Christian family going through something no one would pray for are the same amazing times of growth & joy! yay Jesus & yay for the russell 6!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to see how happy and healthy Stephen looks. No one would ever guess that he has been through so much. Kim, you have a wonderful attitude and outlook which is inspiring to me. Keep lovin' on your little troop and enjoying life. God is an awesome God.

    ReplyDelete