Saturday, May 5, 2012

A Surgeons Day Off

Today our surgeon came in on his day off to check on some patients he operated on yesterday.  I love this man.  He didn't have to come in but his wife and daughters were at Trader Joe's so in he walked in street clothes and a Coke Zero in his hand to see how the little ones were doing.  Not only is what he does amazing but his care for his patients is so sweet.  He saw Joe and I and stopped by our room to say hello.  Since he was in street clothes I of course made the comment "I didn't know Dr's owned jeans"  To which he replied "We only get 1 pair".  He is not the most talkative guy, and today may have been the first time we saw him smile, but he has his own way to show he cares.  It was so strange to see him as a "normal" guy.  He actually told us that tomorrow him and one of the anesthesiologist are taking their kids to Disneyland.  It was sweet to hear him talk about his daughters, who are 3 and 6, and their love for princesses.  You forget that each doctor, nurse and surgeon leads a life outside of this hospital...heck I forgot that I led a life outside of here =0)  But there is something so beautiful about life and the way we are all connected.  I may not have a clue how to operate on a heart but I am a parent and can share that bond with so many people.  Joe and I have really got to know a lot of the staff here...I think we became their favorites when we bought them all pizza.  =0) We talk about all sorts of things but generally speaking we always talk about our kids.  If their kids are younger we relate with our own children and if they are teenagers we share stories about the youth group.  We have really enjoyed getting to know them and are so thankful for what they do.  I am so grateful that they have such a love and a passion for what they are doing that even on their days off, which are few and far between, they would come in to make sure everything is okay.  Something so simple made my day =0)

3 comments:

  1. Surely you've seen Rob in jeans. ;-)
    So glad that Stephen's spinal tap came back negative. We will continue in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it is the opposite with Rob...I can't picture him in scrubs =0) Thanks for your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like your son and my daughter share the same doctor at Rady Children's Hospital. You are in good hands!

    ReplyDelete