But today marks another milestone for our family. Today is Stephen's "Heartiversary!" 5 years ago today Stephen underwent his first open heart surgery. Honestly it was the worst day of my life until Lizzie topped it this summer. But it is also a huge milestone to celebrate. At just 10 days old Stephen endured more in one day than I had my entire life.
This morning when I was talking to him about it he asked if his scar will always be there. I answered "yes...and it will always show how strong and brave you are!" He then proceeded to point out each chest tube scar and say "and this one, and this one and this one... 3 more!"
I love sweet this boy!
If you would like to read a little more about what this day means to me you can check out my blog post from his first Heartiversary...
A Year Ago Today
Stephen...he is just excited that he gets ice-cream today!
As for an update...he will also be going in on May 5th for his ECHO. I was always told he would need his 3rd OHS by the time he was 5...and that time may have come. My prayer is that we can continue to push it off. I am praying that his heart is strong and his 02 sats are high enough to avoid surgery this summer. I am dreading the Fontan surgery for many reasons. So each appointment we weigh the benefits of the surgery with the risks, and as soon as the benefits outweigh the risks we will move forward. Please join us in pray for clear guidance and wisdom on when to do so.
Right now I am fine but I will be a small wreck on May 5th. Any heart mom knows how nerve racking it is to have scans. Everything can seem so fine on the outside, but the inside can tell a different story. Please pray for an EXCELLENT report!
Thank you!
And Happy Heartiversary Sweet Boy!!!! You are so very LOVED!!!




What a joy Stephen is! He has more 'heart' than many other kids whose heart is perfectly functioning :) He spreads joy wherever he is and whatever he is doing. He is such an example to all of us - that no matter what is happening to our physical body we can be joy and light to others. Thank you, Stephen, for showing us that we can always have the joy of the Lord shining out to others - no matter our circumstances! Will be praying for his ECHO on May 5 to have great results and that God will surround you, Joe, the kids and Stephen with His peace that passes all understanding! Love all of you so much!
ReplyDelete