Monday, December 1, 2014

Dental Work & Update

Hi Friends and Faithful Prayer Warriors!

Well the long awaited dental appointment is coming up this Friday.  I am actually surprised at how hard it has been for me.  Every time I think about it I tear up (if I am around people) or just full on break down when I am by myself.  This will be the first time we will have to hand him over at an age when he is aware of his surroundings and his dislike for white coats.  His first 2 surgeries were at 9 days and 4 months.  And while this is by no means "surgery" or even in the same ballpark as open heart surgery, he will have to be fully intubated and sedated in the OR at Rady Children's Hospital.

I am just praying that we will be able to go back into the room with him as they gas him first to put him to sleep.  I don't want him to fear walking down the hall with strangers or being put on a cold sterile table in a room that would scare any two year old.  While he should feel no pain, my heart breaks for the fear he will have...see crocodile tears flowing down my cheeks and onto my lap now =( I see it in his eyes every time we are at the doctors or even when he thinks we are at a doctors office. I have seen him curl his lip and try to fight back tear to be brave and ask to be "all done" while visiting his newborn cousin in the hospital and it breaks me.  I want so bad to be able to take all of this away from him...I would trade places with him in a heartbeat!

So please pray for peace.  It is really hard to see him so scared.  And please pray that we can be with him until he is "out".  I want to be able to hold his hand through this.  I don't want to say goodbye at the pre-op curtain =(

The procedures itself should take about 2 hours but we are planning on a long day.  We have an hour drive to the hospital to arrive 1 1/2 prior, to the 2 hour procedure and then however long it takes to wake/recover from anesthesia before the hour trip back home.

 Today I began to prep him.  I told him he was going to the doctor on Friday and of course he said "no".  I let him know that mommy and daddy would be with him and to my surprise he asked if "Audie" could come too =)  Too cute.  I told him we would be going to the hospital to have the doctor work on his teeth and that he would even have a special doctor who would help him nap the entire time.  I have learned how important it is to prepare him before visits and I hope over the next few days we can help prepare his heart for his visit on friday.

And lastly please pray that he would remain healthy this week and that there would be no complications on Friday as there are always risks when being put under general anesthesia.

Thank You!!!

On a much lighter note he is doing REALLY well!  He loves playing with his siblings and asks to do "schoolwork" all day long.  This little guy loves to trace his letters and sort colors.   He is really into puzzles and can put 12-24 piece ones together by himself.  He is such a bright kiddo!  As of now his low oxygen sure hasn't made him skip a beat!  He is speaking in mostly complete sentences and definitely exerts his independence and stubbornness...and yet remains adorable.   He loves to pray each night and thank God for Philip Rivers, his dog Chico, Baby Violet, Legoland and his siblings...melts my heart.  He reminds me everyday how blessed I am.  =)

Here are a few pictures of our recent adventures...

Stephen and I went on a date to Froyo and played a little o Fish after we finished our dessert!









No comments:

Post a Comment