Sunday, September 7, 2014

"Passing it On" with Philip Rivers

I am so excited to share this campaign with you!!!  Back in April UT columnist (and friend) Kevin Acee wrote this article about our son Stephen and the Ronald McDonald House.  Sooo much has happened since then!

A few weeks ago our family had the opportunity to meet Philip Rivers for a video/photo shoot to launch this amazing campaign to support the Ronald McDonald House in San Diego!

Both Kevin and Philip will be donating $1 for every completed passing yard Rivers throws this season and they are asking others to join in with them!  Whether you donate $.10 a yard (like us!) or more, it will all go to a great cause!

The Ronald McDonald House (RMH) provided our family with a home away from home when Stephen was hospitalized during his first 2 open heart surgeries and will again be a place we will turn to in the near future.  While it offers a room and 3 meals a day for only $15 it is so much more than just a place to stay.  I wish everybody could experience the warmth and love the RMH has to offer.

Joe and I were already dreaming of ways to come back and serve during our first 26 night stay at the RMH when Stephen was born.  We were beyond grateful for the service, love and care they provided our family and before we even checked out we planned our return!  Within 2 months we brought our youth group to serve our first meal and have returned many times since for meals, birthday parties and the Easter carnival Kevin Acee was a part of.

Needless to say I am amazed at what has transpired through our love for this house.   But it goes deeper.  Being a part of something so big brings me back.  It brings me back to my bedroom the night we found out about Stephen's heart.  After crying until I had no more tears...and then crying some more Joe and I made a promise to each other and to God that we were going to remain faithful and trust in Him.  We knew that night we could choose hope or despair...we chose hope.  I remember frankly speaking to God and saying "You better do your part"  If Stephen was going to suffer, as far as I was concerned, good had better come from it!  I knew all of His promises and I knew good could and would come from this if we followed Him and didn't get in the way.  So that night I promised to do my part and asked God to show up and do his...and boy has he!

Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined all that God had in store.  He has worked in such incredible and unforeseeable ways... and really why would I have excepted anything less?  I was hoping that at least 1 other life would have been touched by our son's story, and instead thousands have read about it.  God is so good and so much bigger and mightier than I often realize.  He has had an amazing plan all along and I am in awe of how he has used our pain to bring so much joy!

That is why this campaign is so close to my heart.  It is another glimpse of how God has and is using Stephen's special heart to touch the world.  It brings me great joy.  It is beautiful.

So please take a minute to read this latest article...it is another little glimpse into our reality.

and then check out the Website here Philip Rivers' Passing it On... it has an incredible video of Philip Rivers and our family!

Then please please please Pass it On!  Whether you can donate along with us or spread awareness I would ask that you pass along the links to your family and friends.  You never know who may feel a tug to give...and hey it is a fun way to give and route for our local team!!!

I hope Rivers throws for 5,000 yards this season!  Go CHARGERS!!!  And all glory be to God!!!

"Praise be to the Lord God, the God of Israel,
who alone does marvelous deeds.
"Praise be to his glorious name forever;
may the whole earth be filled with his glory"
Psalm 72:18-19












No comments:

Post a Comment