Thursday, October 4, 2012

A bit of a scare...

Oh my word it has been a roller coaster of emotions today.  Joe and I took the 2 girls and Stephen down to the ER at Children's Hospital at noon while a good friend picked up Michael from school and brought him to her house to play.  After blood work and urine tests they concluded he had a UTI.  No big deal...put him on antibiotics and possibly go home.  After further watch cardiology decided they were going to keep him overnight to give him the first rounds of antibiotics through an IV to be on the safe side.  Everything looked good and Joe left for home with the girls.  Stephen and I were having fun playing, singing, reading the bible ect and then all of the sudden he got super hot, turned purple and started shaking.  My heart sank.  I am still recuperating from it.  His whole body color turned blotchy and purple, his lips were blue and he didn't look like himself.  He had quickly spiked a 103.5 fever and his body was reacting to it.  I for sure panicked on the inside but rather calmly grabbed a nurse and said something was wrong.  The doctor came and they gave him Tylenol, oxygen and some IV fluids and called the cardiologist.    Right now he is stable but will be closely monitored through the night.  The hospital is packed so we haven't been given a room and have been in the ER holding area since 1.  Depending on how he does over the next few hours will determine what type of room we will hopefully be placed in.  This is not a fun place.  Poor kids are crying and screaming all the time so getting out of the ER will be a relief.  Please pray for Stephen.  Pray that these antibiotics will kick in and fight off this infection.  Pray for peace for me.  It was scary.  I clung to him and prayed, but coming of the adrenaline I just feel like crying.  Eventually they will have to run some kidney and other tests that I can't remember right now to help determine the reason for his UTI.  Whether that happens during this stay or we come back another day is yet to be determined.   
I am not anticipating any sleep for me since we don't even have a room, but please pray that he gets the rest he needs and God gives what I need to care for him.
Thank you friends!  I will keep you posted as I learn more.
Here are a few pictures from before we had this little scare


"The LORD is my strenth and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me".  Psalm 28:7

3 comments:

  1. We're praying for Stephen...God touch his little body and heal this infection quickly...watch over Kim and Joe and family too. Strength for this day and night...thank You, Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh God, hold them close and give Your grace to little Stephen. We are praying for his full recovery and wisdom for the doctors and peace for the family all to Your glory, Lord God. Thank you Father.

    ReplyDelete
  3. um "little scare"? i would have freaked out! you are such a trooper kim! prayers going up right now for you both <3

    ReplyDelete